Wednesday, April 23, 2008

worth their weight in...catnip?

So this afternoon the human drove waaaay out to find herself a scale. An electronic scale. With an accuracy of within .2 lb.

She (I) probably didn't have to drive out so far. There was probably, most likely, yeah fer sure something closer.

But (1) when I try alternate routes, I tend to get lost [whereas exploring off the metaphorical beaten track is rewards galore]. And (2) this claustrophobic mecca of buyables is very close to my older sis, she of the darling blue-eyed boy, who was dressed head to toe in a red Power Rangers costume when I arrived and invited me to sit and watch the red Power Ranger on his dvd.

[How often do I shop? Not often. Does my wardrobe reflect this? Yes. Does this cause me pain? Sometimes I feel a twinge when I don the same pair of greeny-gray cargos for the third time that week. But only for a moment and then I QUASH it. QUASH SQUASH BIQUASH. The shopping was bearable today because I knew what I wanted, and I knew in approximately which aisle I could find it ("Bath").]

So I walked in and I walked out. Later that afternoon I weighed myself and then weighed myself plus a cat. Kai first, since he was most near (transl: most trusting, inquisitive, stable). Light as a feather, my sweet boy.

Kai: 10.8 pounds (plus or minus .2 lb.) which I think translates into 10 pounds 13 oz.

[Does someone want to check my math on this one?]

Next came the chunker, w himself. A whopping 16.6 pounds, or 16 pounds 9 oz. Should I be shocked? All ye hoomans of plus-size cats, what do yours weigh?

And finally (But not without a FIGHT!) I got Bella semi-still in my arms. The read-out kept jumping around b'cus she kept jumping around, but I think she's 13 pounds even, my lucky number. I tried to lull her with back scratches and neck rubs, but didn't try hard enough.

So there we have it. Our first set of data. To be continued...

3 comments:

ThePoliticalCat said...

Zingiber was last weighed at 22 lbs. He's lost a few since then, possibly, but he is terrified of the scales and even the vet's had to give up on trying to weigh him.

Bandicoot was close to 18 lb. (he's big-boned, like La Luz).

Madu is 13+. He looks lithe and hunts regularly, so we don't worry about his weight.

Gustav checked in at about 9 or 10 the last visit to the vet's. He's got that Asian cat physique, slender but sinewy.

Gojira is a tiny little 6.5 lb.

Christy said...

i must take a good "before" pic of wicket. he also is big boned. he really is quite a large cat in general. but his stomach rounds way out from his ribs, like a barrel. and when he flops onto his side it pouches out and up.

gojira 6.5?? a tiny thing to cup in the palm of your hand? such beautiful names yours have. i will trade you the origin stories of my three for the name stories of your five.

Lizzy said...

Now I have to go home and weigh everybody...!