Monday, March 24, 2008

everything as it should be

i puttered around this morning, made coffee, washed fruit, grabbed my tunes for the day ahead. each time i caught kai's eye he mewed and rolled onto his back. "such a soft belly," i told him. "you are such a charmer, what a beautiful boy." and he purred and purred.

yesterday he jumped onto the kitchen counter and paced back and forth, rubbing his cheek against the dish drainer and the cupboard corner. he loves being close to my hands and my face, and loves the added height of the counter. i scratched his chin so he turned his head sideways, lowered it, brought it closer and closer to the edge until i thought he was going to fall off.

he's the lightest of my three, the simplest, the most relaxed. reading on my bed the other day, stretched out on my belly above the covers, kai draped himself between and atop my knees. i had to move, though, after half an hour, if only to bring feeling back to my legs. i moved very slowly, very carefully, giving him every opportunity to reposition of his own volition.

but instead of switching to a different corner of the bed, he continued to lay limp as a dishrag. his lower half remained on the bed, his upper half hung in the air. he clung to my raised leg. crazy silly kai, with your nails in my jeans, you look so relaxed but that can't be comfortable. he'll only move unless he thinks i'm serious.

No comments: