Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Psycho Kitty

Last night I was eating my dinner at the kitchen table when out of the corner of my eye, I see one of my cats scrabbling sideways across the linoleum. Yes, sideways. It was Meera, high on something, I thought, or else going crazy from the gas coming from the oven. I was baking cookies, and maybe the gas was especially strong. Maybe it was affecting her brain. She bunched her body up, turned her front half so it was at a right-angle to her back half, and then kind of shuffled all four paws in a crazed dance. It sort of seemed like she was stalking Kai. She had her eyes fixed on him, and her pupils were dilated. But he was in the litter box at the time, and they never bother each other when they're doing their thing... So I don't know what to think. It also occurred to me that she'd split open her catnip mouse and sniffed a little too much, but just on the off chance that it was the oven, I opened one window in the front and one in the back of the apartment to get a little cross-ventilation going. Later that evening she was still acting crazy, jumping at walls (which truthfully isn't a new behavior), and pouncing around with a bushed tail. I made a mental note to keep an eye on her, and to keep my toes out of reach. She seemed fine this morning.

No comments: