Wednesday, January 10, 2007

One down, one to go

Last night my sister took a firm hold on Kai while I clipped his nails. Snip, snip, snip, and we were done. He struggled at first, but by the third nail, he had gone limp and was purring loudly. The experience was much more traumatic for my sister, who can't stand the sight or the sound of clippers. Plus, she used to own a dog whose nails were black, so there was no way to tell where the quick began. As she grimaced and distracted herself with meaningless chatter, I reassured her that Kai's nails are practically translucent. I know exactly how much to clip off...don't know that she felt any less squeamish, but thanks to her, the job is done! (Or half of it anyway...Meera stayed under the bed the whole time, surprise, surprise...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy,
Have a situation regarding a cat someone can no longer have. I recalled you finding a location where they will not kill the animals if they are stable, etc. Would you mind providing that information for me? Can't remember where.

Thanks ahead of time!

Christy said...

The Michigan Humane Society is a no-kill shelter as long as the animal passes a behavioral test. For reasons I don't want to get into here, I wouldn't trust the reliability of their test, and encourage you to exhaust ALL possible alternative first!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Christy! I'm afraid I may not have a choice in the matter:( All I can do is hope and pray things work out for the best. Which location would you recommend? Obviously NOT Detroit's Humane Society.

Christy said...

I went to the Rochester Hills location, and had a wonderful experience there. Friendly staff, the place was hopping with families looking to adopt, and everything seemed clean & well-run.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Christy!