Saturday, April 22, 2006

Electrical wet grumblings

This place looks so empty as I return this evening. I'm muscle-sore and throat-sore and just plain weary. The thought of bed can be an unparalleled joy.

More boxes made the trip north today, more books & more clothes. This time I spent a good fifteen minutes, alone, on the porch in the light rain and sunshine, after everyone else had driven off down the street. I looked at the grass and the new buds on my little tree, and I understood green. I soaked up the feel of my cool concrete porch, legs outstretched, arms easeled out behind me. Afterwards I took a close look at the pebbled pale skin of my palms, feeling like a kid fascinated again with minutiae, with textures.

I know this mood, and I know it to be rare. So I write about it. It had to do with the sunshine & the lateness of the day. It had to do with being alone & independent & the streetpeace & the remnants of the love of my family lingering in all my corners: in the mail scattered across my living room floor (Ethan), in the fresh roll of paper towels on the kitchen counter (Karen), in the neat stacks of homeless books in the back room (Lauri).

There is much to be done before it feels completely like home. I'm thinking rugs on the hardwood, and strategically placed lamps & photos. I'll need to clean the bathroom before I feel like the place is mine; I'll need to share a few meals with my cousin, my housemate. But soon, soon, I'll close the door of this condo, home for a year and a half, and begin a new phase. Everything will be different.

These cds will have to go north tomorrow. These dishes. These knicknacks, those that make the cut. And hey, my little munchkins, most important of all, you're coming too! They lounge in this near-empty echoey space and poke their heads through the lacy curtains to peer outside. Lightening illuminates the tree outside every few seconds; they seem unconcerned.

Pah! Tame beasts! I've heard tell of kitties gone mad during electrical wet grumblings, gone bushy-tailed and wild-eyed. Scare me a little, push me to the edge, make me think I should keep my feet on the couch, out of claw and out of teeth. We have so little time.

No comments: