Tuesday, June 17, 2008

paper-weighted

the bebs were so happy to see me when i came home sunday night, and i was so happy to see them. i spent a stressful weekend in holland helping my mom kid-sit the brown-haired niece and nephew. blond-haired nephew came with and helped matters not at all.

after the chaos and noise and verrrry little sleep of the weekend, my apartment became even more of a dim blue sanctuary than it usually is. i love having my own place. it never gets old. i love drifting off to sleep, blinking sleepily at the rest of the apartment through the bedroom door and thinking- all that space is mine. it fits me perfectly.

thank god, thanks gods, thank goddesses for the blessing of my own space. shout-out to virginia.

older sis and man-friend took care of bebs while i was away. lauri left me a note, as is tradition, on the back of my note of instructions, complete with illustrations of how much she loathes litter boxes and the smell of cat food. i have promised, among other things, a lifetime supply of Good & Plenty as thanks.

as soon as i walked in sunday night, i dropped my bags. first things first, right? snuggled meera, kai and wicket like there was no tomorrow. they wanted to be put down- prefer to be loved while on the floor. so we snuggled on the floor. cleaned the water and food bowls, cleaned the litter box, vacuumed the kitchen... threw open all my windows, renested.

gazed fondly toward my own bed, my own pillow. nothing like three nights in someone else's house to make you appreciate your own mattress. kai did his silent mew thing and i almost died. gave him an extra ten minutes of belly rub. that boy's got me wrapped around his pinky claw, he does.

much later, in the middle of the night, i woke up and felt myself paper-weighted by my three. meera in the northwest corner by my toes, wicket three inches from my face, and kai tucked behind my knees. home!

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Oh, what a loverly account of a homecoming! Way to go, human! Way to you, You three!!