Sunday, February 25, 2007

Letting down my guard

Companions are silent and have been for hours. Last I checked they were snuggling on the bed, so I potter about the kitchen totally lost in thought. I taste this, I salt that. I sing a little tune.

But Kai, that prankster, that predator, has been watching me. He lies crouched in the recesses of Under-the-Couch, giggling to himself and waiting for just the right moment. The right moment turns out to be as I'm walking from the sink to the stove with a (very (very)) full pan of water.

"Now!" he thinks. And before my brain can even register the clickety-clickety of approach, Kai races in, launches himself at my knees, zips around the kitchen and out again. The echoes of my shriek fade away as I'm left gasping and teetering on my tippy toes, trying to soothe the sloshing waves of water in the pan.

Later I'm paper-towelling the floor and he reappears looking quiet and surprised. "So this is what you do in your spare time?"

2 comments:

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Just wanted you to know I enjoy your humorous posts. I check in daily to see if you've added anything.

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

3/8/07: Still checking in. Hoping you'll find time to keep us posted on the little ones.