Thursday, June 01, 2006

Heartache

I write to recover...

This morning there was a terrible crash outside the bathroom door. It started from a great height, and rolled its heartrending way downward, downward, down the stairs and past the bathroom door, amidst a horrible rustling sound. It seemed to last forever! And then silence.

I rushed out to find a grocery bag on the floor, and no sign of cats anywhere. I think I know what happened: when last I left MeeraKai they were wrestling at the top of the stairs, grocery bag a few feet away. One of them must have gotten tangled up and slipped...

In the kitchen, the Elder. Ok. In the living room, no one. Book room, no one, basement, no one! Panic rising, I ran up the stairs to find Kai sitting forlornly in the middle of the floor. (Ok, two down, where's Meera??)

She had tucked herself into the farthest corner underneath my bed, and scootched away when I reached for her. Even the loving, come-hither voice had no effect, and she is a sucker for the knead. But her eyes were clear and alert, and she stared at the toy I dangled...she moved her head quickly when her brother made a sudden jump to the bed...she seemed to have no trouble walking (in her attempt to move further away from my hand).

In the end I had to leave, but will check on her soon. I fear--I don't know what to fear.

No comments: