Sunday, February 26, 2006

Names, reveal thyselves!

Little Girl's name has revealed itself. It is indeed Meera. She's such a sweet cuddly little thing, with that beautiful delicate tiny round face, and sooo affectionate. "Meera" says all that to me. She took longer than Little Boy to warm up to me, but now she's first to rub against my legs, and she only jumps a little when I approach (as opposed to racing under the bed). She does this thing, I call it the Ecstasy-Roll, where she'll be lying on the armchair or the bed, and just roll and roll and roll, rubbing her head and body against the softness. "I feel soo luxuuuuurious......"

But as for the name 'Jojen'...no. He's not a J-kind of kitty. I liked the name Caspian--I thought it was a great water-reference, given his splashing tendencies, and a great C.S.Lewis-reference--but he didn't like it at all. The search continues...

Yesterday I noticed they really have to high-step it into their litter box. Little Boy was half in and half out at one point. He looked back at me as if to say, "Does it need to be this hard?" But this morning I peeked my head in, and there was...a pillow, just outside the entrance to the litter box. Problem solved! Important thing is, they're using it. When Meera goes in there, she scrapes around a LOT before doing her business, and then scrapes around AGAIN before jumping out. I hear her little claws tearing holes in the plastic bag, and think I'll have to find some heavy-duty liners until they learn to sheath those things properly.

The moment I forget about my munchkins, that's when they make the most noise. I was making dinner last night and heard the most horrendous thumping from the back bedroom. It sounded like empty cardboard boxes were being kicked from one end of the room to the other. I looked to see where Brat was. "Did you hear that?" (I might have said this out loud.) He was crouched over his water dish, head poised, ready to drink, but eyes and ears were trained toward the noise. I put my spoon down and tiptoed down the hall. I oh-so-quietly turned the knob and stuck my head in. Both of them were curled in the armchair and blinked at me sleepily. BUT a little footstool had been overturned, and a *very* heavy blanket had been dragged from the chair to the floor. I made no accusations, I just cooed, "Hey, little guys," and shut the door again.

Little Boy has discovered the joys of the scratching post. I scrape my nails down its ropy side and both of them will come running to investigate. When he gets about a foot away, he'll launch himself into the air, spread the toes of each paw, and land, clinging to the side of the post. His favorite game is to mountain climb like this, and then bat at a piece of paper I've put on top of the post. I've noticed he can't resist a good game. Meera will play for awhile, and then go do her own thing, but Little Boy just keeps going and going and going ("Energizer Bunny"? "E.B."?). It's hard to get one-on-one playtime with her...she too easily gives up when big bro comes charging in.

They're becoming more affectionate with each other. No washing of each other's faces yet, which I really hope I get to see. But they'll curl up together in the armchair. That's where they were when I came in this morning. That was the first time they didn't run at the sight of me. They both stayed where they were, and I held my breath as I walked over and crouched down. He shut his eyes again, but she stood up, streeeeetched, and then stood on him to get to me. She *stood* on him, all curled up in a ball as he was, and he let her! This was also the first time they let me really pet them. Both of their motors were going, and I could tell they'd been just *dying* to trust me enough so that I could give them some good loving. I thought it would take more than three days, but no! By early afternoon, they were both very comfortable with me petting and scratching them... I have yet to pick either of them up.

I found a shallow rectangular tupperware lid to something, about a foot-square, and am using that as their water dish. It's not breakable, it's not tippable. He still dabbles, but I haven't seen him scooping like he did the other day. This morning he patted the water a couple times, put both front paws in, and lapped twice. Then he caught sight of something in the water, jerked his head back in faux fear, sniffed closer, ears perked, twisted his neck around to get a better view, lifted one paw out of the water and dabbled some more.... ("Narcissus"?)

Before going to bed last night, I scratched Brat's ears outside the Mysterious Smells & Sounds room, and then opened the door a little. Little Boy came padding over. He and Brat made eye contact, Brat hissed and ran. So that was short and sweet. On Friday morning I think I'll put Meera and Little Boy ("L.B."? "L.B.J."? "Lyndon"?) in their carriers, and let Brat roam around the room, if he has any inclination to. Baby steps...

No comments: